I have a samba fileserver which has been happily running for a couple of years with identical config but on different versions of samba, and on Fedora and CentOS.
The latest incarnation was running samba 3.2.11.
But the other day, my samba package was upgraded to 3.4.1
Samba shares on the server immediately stopped working and access is immediately denied to all users.
I looked at the config and nothing has changed during the upgrade.
I looked at the logs and no access attempts are recorded; no errors are logged.
I noticed that the new template config file is a little different from previous versions, so I made the necessary changes and migrated my config to the new file. No change to samba’s behaviour at all.
For a while I wondered if I had a rogue samba server on my network, but stopping my samba service causes requests to time out rather than be denied. So it’s definitely my samba daemon that’s responding, but goodness knows why it behaving like this.
Restarting samba puts the following in the log file:
[2009/10/02 10:33:54, 0] smbd/server.c:1065(main) smbd version 3.4.1-0.41.fc11 started. Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009 [2009/10/02 10:33:54, 0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket) smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use [2009/10/02 10:33:54, 0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket) smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use
I will keep hunting until I find what’s caused this. Unfortunately I can’t watch any of my recorded TV programmes until then!
I’ll post back here when I’ve tracked it down.
Update: I managed to get Samba working again. Sort of. This is a snippet from my now-working
# ----------------------- Standalone Server Options ------------------------ # # Scurity can be set to user, share(deprecated) or server(deprecated) # # Backend to store user information in. New installations should # use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards # compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration. security = user # passdb backend = tdbsam passdb backend = smbpasswd
As you can see, I simply reverted to the older
smbpasswd authentication after yum upgraded Samba and switched to
tdbsam and my shares magically sprung back to life. It’s a shame, because I don’t like going backwards. I like going forwards – hence I run Fedora.
I can confirm that this “fix” works with the latest version of Samba at the time of writing – version 3.4.2.
So despite the claim that
tdbsam requires no extra configuration, clearly there’s more to it than that. I will once again post back here when I’ve found a way to enable
tdbsam without breaking everything. 🙂